Monday, May 10, 2010

First Day

Today was my first day on Project Period. I left just after 8:15 and drove up the access road until I got over the cabin. I drove today as I needed to bring some tools with me. Hiking them up from there was hard enough. I reached the bulkhead around 9:00 which is the start of the trail that I am building. My goal today was to get the first part of the trail planned out and almost fully built. One of the Proctor faculty members had flagged a trail through with cotton cloth. This was not so much of a trail as just a way to get though without getting lost. I had to reroute this first section as it did not meet my secondary goal; to construct the trail in a manner that is consistent with best practices for trail construction and has the least environmental impact. After changing a section of the trail in order to cut out a steep pitch which would erode over time, I started trimming branches back as well as clearing the ground. This was the hardest part as the wind had knocked down many trees and limbs. I worked for about four hours on clearing this part of the trail. I felt like I got a lot done today. I was a little worried wen Ben went on mountain but at this rate I should be able to finish what will hopefully be a great trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment